This morning we took our walk down to town with a slight detour towards Okurei Point. We found another marker with more information about Historic Maketu “One Community, Two Histories” (Maori and Pakeha-European). This point of land was settled by Maori between 700 and 1000 years ago and was a prominent village with fortifications and cultivated fields of kumara (sweet potato), taro, uwhi (yam) and hue (bottle gourd). When Capt. Cook sailed by in 1796 he noticed the large village above the cliff and named it Town Point.
We headed to Maketu Beach to the Maketu Beachside Cafe & Restaurant for lunch.
We heard the patter of feet and looked up to see a gull walking on the semi transparent roof!